Philosophy Thursday - Pareidolia

The linoleum in my bathroom, the ceiling tiles at work, the clouds, the wood grain on my desk and the shadows from the leafy trees are all Rorschach inkblot tests to me. Pareidolia is when your brain finds patterns in random information. My brain is doing this all the time. I mostly pick out faces, bodies and sometimes hands. I’ve never seen any religious images in grease stained pizza boxes or pancakes.

Supposedly, what you see in these random images is a reflection of your mood. When I’m grumpy, I usually see dragon heads, devils or trolls. When I am happy, I see cartoon bears, handsome people and rough shapes of physical activities, usually running.

And no, I don’t think this is a sign of insanity. I would only be insane if I started acting on connections between pareidoliate images and things going on in the real world. (I’m not going deep enough to contemplate the meaning of “the real world” and perception).

What do you see?

No comments: