Philosophy Thursday - Fortune Cookie

I don't believe that a fortune cookie really tells your fortune. But still, it is a shame that the little slips of paper only contain good advice instead of real fortunes.

So I walked into the kitchen at work and someone had Chinese take-out but didn’t eat their fortune cookie. They just recklessly decided it was better to ignore fate in order to save those calories and left it on the counter for anyone to take. This brought up a couple questions about fate, fortune and weightloss:

  • Was that cookie meant for the buyer of the food?
  • If I ate it, would I be stealing their fortune?
  • Would the fortune change according to who opened the cookie?
  • Or would that fortune have been fatefully intended for me from its creation?
  • Do I have to eat the cookie to adopt that fortune?
  • Or do I just need to open the cookie and read it?
Well, I grabbed the cookie off the counter like a kid in front of a busted open pinata. Now I feel jipped that it didn’t say anything good or bad. Here is the front of the paper. The back taught me how to say banana in two different languages:
And reading a fortune cookie that doesn't tell me how to make a million bucks is frustration.

No comments: