Job - integrity and character

I taught the book of Job in Gospel Doctrine on Sunday and I never appreciated Job's example of kindness to others. It was the Apostle Paul who said to lift up the hands that hang down (Heb. 12:12) and again these words were used in a latter day revelation (D&C 81:5). President Monson asks members to hold up the hands that hang down. But I think the first place this was used was by Job's friend to describe Job's compassion and charity (Job 4:3-4, "...thou hast strengthened the weak hands. Thy words have upholden him that was falling, and thou hast strengthened the feeble knees.") I also really enjoyed hearing about his service to the poor, the fatherless, him that had no help, the widow, the blind, and the lame (Job 29:12-16).

Here is a depiction of Job by Gustave Doré (1832-1883). He is one of my favorite artists.



No comments: